Child support eligibility

You can receive child support if:
  • You are the child’s parent or a caretaker who has court-ordered custody of the child
  • The child is financially dependent on you or the other parent
  • You or the other parent is not living with the child
  • Paternity needs to be established
  • A child support order needs to be established, modified or enforced

Exempt from application process

You do not need to apply for services if you receive the following forms of public assistance for the child:
  • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
  • Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Medical Assistance (MA)
  • Child care assistance
  • Foster Care
Your financial worker will refer your case to the child support services section.