Minnesota supplemental aid (MSA)

Minnesota supplemental aid provides cash assistance to individuals who are over 18 and have been certified blind or disabled by the Social Security Administration, or singles and couples who are 65 years or older.

People who are blind or disabled must also be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Retired Survivors Disability Insurance (RSDI), or they must be certified as totally and permanently disabled by the State Medical Review Team.

Minnesota supplemental aid may be added to federal Supplemental Security Income to meet the personal needs of eligible people living independently.

Eligible recipients who move into licensed facilities for the mentally ill, developmentally disabled, or for people with other disabilities may also be eligible to have monthly facility costs paid by the housing supports (group residential housing) program.

If you need help applying

You may have someone else apply for you. To do this, you must write a letter identifying that person as an "authorized representative" who has permission to complete the process on your behalf. If you are in the hospital or home-bound, call our office for assistance.

How to apply

Complete one of the applications below to apply. If you complete the combined application form you will need to submit it to one of our locations or email it to mnprairie@mnprairie.org.  You may also call 507.431.5600 to have a form mailed to you.